Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sunday Vandals in Rexburg

     At precisely 2:35 A.M., oh wait, 1:35 A.M. thanks to daylight savings, a noise disturbed me from the late night movie I had been enjoying. I looked out my window in time to see two young men, unless they were two manly young women, running from door to door, picking up pumpkins and throwing them off the balcony of my apartment building. The pumpkins that someone spent hard earned money and precious hours on, and the pumpkins that someone so artistically carved, were thrown down two stories to their desecration. They all now lay in moist pieces on the hard cement below.
     When things like these happen, and they don't usually, I find myself asking, "Why?" Because some adolescent young men wanted to get a kick out of seeing the girls of the apartment the next day with frowns on their faces? Because they wanted the satisfaction of knowing that someone now has a mess to clean up? Because they wanted the adrenaline they got when they so sneakily ran past apartments and showed both their strength and speed in doing a devilish deed without getting caught? Because they wanted to put the pumpkins out of their misery? Because they wanted some laughs?
     As you can probably tell, I am not a fan, I was awake when their escapade was in progress, and I did see a little of the irresponsible fellows who are responsible for this pointless act of vandalism.
     There were two throwing off the pumpkins on my floor, one was wearing a red jacket with the hood up, the other wasn't. They met their friend near the stairs on the south side of the building. He wasn't wearing a hood either and I believe his hair was light in color. Then they all ran off towards the stairwell laughing and speaking in loud whispers as if it had all been some hilarious joke.
     Well, I have a roommate who is going through a major trial in her life right now and I doubt that she'll think this is a funny prank. She is the one who made the pumpkin outside our door. And what a lovely pumpkin it was roughly twenty minutes ago. These three sons of God weren't acting like sons of God. On this early Sabbath morning, they were acting like jerks. I know my roommate will be saddened by the news that her pumpkin, she spent so much time on, is now destroyed but knowing her she'll be even more saddened by the news that someone else will be forced to clean it all up. I just hope it doesn't hurt a lot because no one deserves to hurt a lot, even the pumpkin smashers don't deserve that.
     The identities of the boys are unknown, and, personally, I kind of hope it stays that way so I'm not tempted to be rude to them, but if I could ask those boys a couple questions they would be these, "Whose life is bettered by this?" and, "So, what in the world possessed you to do it?"


1 comment:

  1. Oh man, that is a lovely pumpkin! I've never really understood the thrill of pranking in such thoughtless ways, either.
    Let's hope these boys are still waiting to go on their missions and that when they get back, they'll have grown up a little.

    ReplyDelete