Sunday, November 18, 2012

Ramen, my blessing

     This evening for my din din I decided that I'd try to use some of my ramen noodles and make a recipe I found on the internet for Top Ramen Chow Mein. One of the steps had you cooking vegetables and I'd never done this before. The recipe didn't have detailed instructions on how to cook them, and I didn't feel like asking the all-wise Google so I just winged it, and they turned out perfect! The meal was great, for something made with ramen, and my belly was once again full.
     The reason that I'm now writing about my dinner is not to convince you to to make the recipe, or to make your tummy grumble, it is simple, I find it to be a real blessing in my life. A small one but one that I'm truly grateful for. I find that I need to count my blessings right now because I feel that strangeness where you are sad but there is no reason behind it and you know there must be some reason behind the feeling that chocolate doesn't even improve but you can't think of one. I think to myself, "What is wrong with me? How can I fix myself? What will make me feel better? By counting my blessings? Really?!" Since I really do want the feeling gone, and there is no harm in trying, I start to list them...
     The temple dedication, my testimony of forever families and the temple and the prophet and His love for me, food, clothes, likes, family, prayer, conference talks, understanding teachers, contacts, a sense of humor, good people, friends, chocolate, bananas, and holidays. Why is it working? How come the feeling is diluting?
     Good movies, dreams, pillows, ice cream (even if I'm currently out of it), blogs, nephews, my Grandma, a phone, ponytails, health, tissues, embarrassments, books, the scriptures (especially The Book of Mormon), flowers, beauty, a toothbrush, inspired leaders, my step-family, good weather, and kind acts of service.
     Fun, there's a smile on my face now and my tears have all dried. I'm kind of surprised that it worked so well. Read the following quote. It's the reason that I started this in the first place. I needed a release from this feeling of despair, but... My roommate's guitar is no longer available. Today happens to be Sunday so, no running. And I've already cleaned the whole kitchen, including all my roommates' dishes. Counting blessings was the only option available, and it worked so well for me!
  
"We live in a unique time in the world’s history. We are blessed with so very much. And yet it is sometimes difficult to view the problems and permissiveness around us and not become discouraged. I have found that, rather than dwelling on the negative, if we will take a step back and consider the blessings in our lives, including seemingly small, sometimes overlooked blessings, we can find greater happiness."
-Thomas  S.  Monson

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the good reminders to count our blessings! And thank you for proving that it does work to help fight off those "down days"!
    Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete