Saturday, July 7, 2012

Life isn't a Movie

What could be better than watching Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr as they fall in love? Or watching the epic story of true love in “The Princess Bride”? The other day I just kept watching a fairly good PG movie called “Runaway Bride”. I wanted to understand how Julia Roberts’character finally found herself. And how come she fell in love with Richard Gere and not groom number four Christopher Meloni? I got absorbed into the characters’ lives and analysed almost everything about them, what they wore, the way they talked, the way they handled a situation, and even the way their hair was done up. Everytime you watch a movie you can observe different things. That is what I love about movies. And if the movie is a good one then you might want to watch it over and over again so you can observe different things, or maybe that’s just me. But it is like reading different versions of the same book and it almost doesn’t feel like you’re watching one movie over again. But I've been noticing lately that when I'm sitting down watching movies, I'm becoming a couch potato. And who wants to be a veggie that sits on a dark couch somewhere with so many eyes? There are only twenty-four hours in the day and as a way to help me stop spending so many hours with movies I wrote a list of reasons life is NOT like a movie.

Life doesn't have mood music constantly playing in the background for everyone but you to hear.

There are seldom chase scenes.

Unless you have your hair professionally done or you are a hair stylist yourself, your hair will never look like the characters' in the movies, especially when you've just woken up!

Although the coincidences aren't coincidences in either, in the movies it is because the writer dreamed them up, in life it is because God knows what's best for us (although we do wonder sometimes what He had in mind).

The main characters are physically pretty but they are only beautiful because we consider them to be so.

People actually have faults that aren't endearing or cute.

Science fiction is fiction, and it won't become real, although someday it might come close.

Your Fairy Godmother died with your childhood, sorry.

Life will never be as glamorous as Audrey Hepburn or as over-the-top hilarious as Bob Hope.

There are major consequences to gambling, drinking, smoking, being promiscuous, and eating a lot of chocolate and ice cream without exercising.

Life is not a movie but it's more fulfilling than watching one, especially if you actually embrace your life and live it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Anna! Your list of reasons is awesome! I have said more than once that maybe I shouldn't have watched/taken seriously all the those Jane Austen movies ever since I was a litte girl. Life isn't usually like that and sometimes it's hard not to wait around for it to become that way. You're absolutely right, as fun as it is to loose oneself in a good love story, or movie in general, there is a reality that we can't forget. And hopefully, with faith and patience, reality will be better than any movie we've ever watched! :)
    Fun blog!!
    Tiana

    ReplyDelete