Do you every have this feeling that you want something but you can't seem to figure out what? I get it all the time. For me, it's a hunger, an intense yearning. But I seem to always have a problem figuring out what it is so I can fix it. I don't realize at first that the yearning is a hunger; I simply begin trying to fill it with anything I can get my hands on. I watch movies. I read books. I eat food. I play the piano! Anything I can think will fix it I do. When I start getting desperate I go for a jog up the road. And there, I finally figure it out. First I need to explain something. Where I live I can walk down the road and look all around me and not see anyone, just sky and fields stretching out forever. It is my secret place where it seems so natural just to talk with God. And that is when the hunger is finally abated. When I reach out to Him, that is when I finally receive relief.
"The story is told of a vessel stranded off the coast of South America whose Captain signalled to a passing ship to share their water with his passengers as they were suffering from thirst. The passing ship signalled back telling him to let down his bucket into the water in which they were floundering, because they were in the mouth of the Amazon River and the water was fresh.
The message of the ages to all people stranded in their sins is that they are in friendly territory and all they need to do is to let down their buckets and have their thirst quenched. The Master is ready always to listen to the cry of a repentant person and let him drink of the fountain of life freely."
-The Miracle of Forgiveness by Spencer W. Kimball
No comments:
Post a Comment